At Emirates European Medical Centre we specialize in a type of massage called deep tissue massage. This type of massage is more targeted to problem muscles and includes techniques such as acupressure, ms stripping, trigger-point work (which focuses on certain knots of the muscle that causes pain in other areas of the body) and “deep transverse friction” where back and forth movements are used over muscle fibers to break up scar tissue.
The goal of therapeutic massage is not relaxation, it’s done to obtain a therapeutic benefit releasing the muscles from tension, improve muscle tone and increase flexibility. At EEMC we use therapeutic massage alongside physical therapy and chiropractic as part of a treatment plan.
Massage offers a drug-free, non-invasive and humanistic approach based on the body’s natural ability to heal itself.
So what exactly are the benefits of receiving regular massage?
- Increases circulation, allowing the body to pump more oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs.
- Increased circulation of blood and lymph systems improves the condition of the body’s largest organ – the skin.
- Relaxes and softens injured and overused muscles
- Reduces spasms and cramping
- Increases joint flexibility.
- Reduces recovery time, helps prepare for strenuous workouts and eliminates subsequent pains of the athlete at any level.
- Releases endorphins – the body’s natural painkiller and is being used in chronic illness, injury and recovery from surgery to control and relieve pain.
- Reduces post-surgery adhesions and edema and can be used to reduce and realign scar tissue after healing has occurred.
- Improves range-of-motion and decreases discomfort for patients with low back pain.
- Relieves pain for migraine sufferers and decreases the need for medication.
- Provides exercise and stretching for atrophied muscles and reduces shortening of the muscles for those with restricted range of motion.
Assists with shorter labor for expectant mothers, as well as less need for medication, less depression and anxiety